The motor current calculator calculates the full load current of an AC induction motor.
The motor full load current calculator calculates the motor full load current from the following parameters:
- Voltage (V). The phase-to-phase voltage for a 3-phase supply, or the phase-to-neutral voltage for a single phase supply.
- Phase. Whether its a 3-phase or single phase voltage supply.
- Rating (P). The power rating of the motor in kW.
- Power factor (cosΦ). The rated power factor of the motor. Typically around 0.86.
- Efficiency (η). The efficiency of the motor. Typically around 95%. Enter 0.95.
The motor current is calculated as follows.
For a 3-phase supply with power rating in kilowatt (kW):
For a 3-phase supply with power rating in horsepower (hp):
For a 1-phase supply with power rating in kilowatt (kW):
For a 1-phase supply with power rating in horsepower (hp):
Note that the motor rated full load current is specified on the motor datasheet and stamped on the motor nameplate. However, this calculator is useful when only the motor rating is available and an estimate of the current is required.